Hellenstic Astrology is based upon the philosophy that the placement of the planets and signs, and the relationships between them at the moment of birth symbolically represents the person and their potential experiences, significant events and people in their life. The planets and signs are in constant movement and the rising sign can change every 1-2 hours. The ascendent degree moves every few minutes too. So the more accurate the birth time is, the more likely that the chart will closely reflect your life story and experiences.
So what can you do if you are not sure about your birth time? Here are a few suggestions that might help:
- In the first instance check your birth certificate if you can. However not all countries require the time to be recorded. Even then, the time could be out by 10-20 minutes or rounded. If you don’t have a birth certificate you may be able to get one from your relevant governmental office.
- Ask your parents or other family member that might have been present at the birth. They may well remember the time. Even if it isn’t exact it can be helpful in drawing up your natal chart.
- Check baby books or family scapbooks or albums or other family event records that might have the time recorded.
- Try contacting the hospital where you were born, it’s possible they may have records which can help, although this may vary from country to country.
- Have your chart rectified by an astrologer. Chart rectification involves exploring your important life events to find the corresponding planetary and sign placements. I don’t offer this service at the moment but hope to in the future.
If it’s not at all possible to get even an approximate time, a reading is still possible using a general time such as noon, but please be aware it might not be as reflective of your life experience or natal potential.